- Roughage (pasture and hay) should be the major part of your horses diet and made available for your horse to graze on at all times.
- Supplement your horse with minerals, vitamins and salts missing in that roughage – use Equilibrium Mineral Mix or Equilibrium B1 Cool Mix.
- Add the minimum amount of concentrates (grain, pellet, premixed feed) that is necessary. Most horses do not require more than 1kg of energy or protein concentrates per day. Horses in hard work (eg Racehorses) require more however in most cases should not exceed 4kg per day.
The Equilibrium Program aims to maintain a healthy process of bacterial digestion. This is what nature intended.
- Roughage or forage is the raw material for bacterial digestion and it buffers from the adverse effects of concentrates.
- Minerals are required by these bacteria for efficient microbial processing of roughage and for the horse’s requirements. Vitamins are essential for many body metabolic processes. Salts are required for the function of all muscle.
- Avoiding excess concentrates protects the gut from the severe effects of acidosis.